We are going from this to this:
Using PS 7.0, easy level of difficulty, and should be transferrable to other programs.
All textures from cdg, unless otherwise stated.
01. Crop, sharpen. Duplicate the base, apply a gaussian blur (4.0px radius) to the this layer, set to soft light, 100% opacity.
02. Add a new layer, fill with #0C213E, set to difference at 77% opacity.
03. Apply this texture:
and set to soft light, 50% opacity.
04. Then apply this texture:
and set this to overlay, 100%.
06.Now apply this light texture:
and set to screen, 25%.
07. Apply this light texture:
layer set on soft light, 77%.
08. Now, duplicate the base layer, drag to the top of the layer palette, desaturate it by going to image, then adjustments, then desaturate in the menu (or by simply pressing Shift/Control/U). Set the layer to lighten, 100%.
09. Apply this texture (from immoral):
and set it to lighten, 50%.
Just about finished! Now you can apply borders, text, anything you want. What I did to complete this is to apply a 3px white border around the whole image to finish it off and make it look nice. Like so:
Feel free to take the original icon, but please comment if you do and credit me as the original creator. I'd also be interested to see other icons made with this method.
Hope you enjoyed.